Sunday, May 25, 2008

On the road today








In an effort to try to keep my postings short, I realize I am not relaying too much information regarding the scenery, history, highlights, and ambiance of the places we are visiting. I’m often prone to very long and verbose ramblings and am trying to curtail that. However, I just read a blog that I found online from some other travelers who preceded us on this route last month. Although his posts are very long, I find them informative. So, now I’ll try to be concise and informative at the same time…let’s see how this works. Here goes…..
We left Cache Creek leisurely this morning with the intent of driving 86 miles (126km) to Lac La Hache, which has a campground on the lake. We have been very fortunate to know friends (Sandy & Bruce) who traveled to Alaska last year and love to talk about their adventures. Sandy patiently reviewed her itinerary and shared many tips with me over the course of the last year. She has been wonderfully helpful and her information is proving to be priceless. (thanks, sandy!). So, Sandy suggested Lac La Hache as a good place to spend a night or 2-it sounded like a good idea, but the day was so beautiful (ie. Sunny),the roads smooth, and the scenery gorgeous. Dominic was enjoying the trip and suggested moving further north, bypassing Lac La Hache totally. Sounded like a plan to me, so onward we went.
We stopped in Williams Lake at a super visitor’s center. The gal was so helpful and enthusiastic-I asked her if she’d join us on the trip as our personal tour guide! They also offered a short (15 minute) film on the area that was done really well and pumped us up about British Columbia and what it had to offer.
So, on to Sandy’s next recommended campground-Robert’s Roost in Quesnel. We pulled into an exceptionally clean, bright, manicured campground on a blue lake…ahhhh-life is good. The sun was out and we decided to stay for 3 days. Campground host had other plans…they had no room for us. It didn’t even dawn on me that this would be a problem (how many crazy people are willing to spend over $5/gallon for diesel). Well, he did finally find a spot-near the lake. Life is still good. We handed him our credit card, and it was denied. Oops-life ain’t so grand no more. I said I’d call-he said don’t worry. I didn’t want to use another card, since this one doesn’t charge an additional fee for international charges. So, went back to motor home, signed onto our Skype account and called Capital One. Got the fraud department who told me they shut us down due to being in a foreign country (I did notify them before we left the US). So, after a brief phone conversation, all was rectified. Oh, did I tell you about the millions of gnats (no see ums) near the lake?? Hmmmmm-is this preparation for buggers up in Alaska?
By the way, our Skype account is phenomenal…if you’re not familiar with it, go to skype.com and download the software for free. Skype enables you to talk (like on a phone) to someone else who has a skype account for FREE. In addition to the free skype, I subscribed to a service ($2.95/month) that allows me to call out (from the computer) to ANY phone (landline or cell) in the US or Canada. Since my mom doesn’t have a computer and I wanted her to be able to keep in contact with us, I also subscribed to an incoming phone line ($24/year). So, if you want to call us, you can. Needless to say, I need to have access to WIFI (which seems prevalent in BC) to do this. Since this blog is public, I won’t give the phone number out here. If you want it, please email me and I’ll send it to you. Ok, enough of a sales pitch for skype…but, if you have family overseas or are traveling yourself, it’s a wonderful tool.
Well, I just hit page 2 of this blog…too long today. Sorry. We’ll be in Quesnel for 2 days, so I’ll fill you in on our explorations around town tomorrow.
Until then, be well and be safe.

No comments: